Are you aware that ground meat poses a greater threat of contamination than whole cuts of meat (i.e. roast, steak). That’s because, any bacteria like E. coli or salmonella on the surface of the meat can spread throughout more easily when the meat is ground. To avoid illness, the key is to cook and store meat properly.
Storing Uncooked Meat:
- Refrigerate below 40 degrees on a plate on the bottom shelf to prevent juices dripping onto other food. You can refrigerate only up to two days.
- Freeze up to four months. Longer is okay, but the texture and flavor could change. Defrost in the refrigerator or in the microwave and never thaw at room temperature on the counter.
- Wash hands well before and after handling raw meat.
- Avoid cross contamination. You have to designate a cutting board strictly for raw meat, seafood and poultry and never use it for any other food.
- Wash all utensils, cutting surfaces and counters with hot soapy water after they come in contact with raw meat.
- A meat thermometer is a must have in the kitchen as it is the most fail-safe way to determine doneness.
- Cook ground beef, veal lamb or pork to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Refrigerate cooked food promptly and ensure leftovers are left at room temperature no longer than 2 hours, and they should be eaten within 2 to 3 days.
Hey, it’s been a while since my last update here. Not so me, but I have been tackling real life tasks. In a few weeks, the warmer days will roll in. Are you ready for those endless entertaining? It’s about time to pull out those silverware from storage. Your guests deserve only the best wares when you have them over.
After all the merrymaking though, ensure that your silverware are cleaned and stored properly. Having said that, here are tips on proper care of your silver:
– Polish once a year. Some people do this before or after use. Please keep in mind that tarnish removers can wear down the surface of silver thus, polishing often is not recommended.
– If in case you’re not aware, silver needs to be hand washed and dry. Your dishwasher is silver’s worst enemy. Remember that air drying is not good enough, as moisture can get trapped in tiny cracks which can trigger corrosion. Drying each piece with flannel cloth is the best way.
– Lastly, keep air out when you store your silver. This is the best way to protect them hence, it is imperative to invest in a case. If you don’t want to invest, wrapping each piece in an anti-tarnish cloth and storing in a Ziploc bag will do. Ensure they are wrapped prior to sticking them to a plastic wrap. Wrapping silver and stash away in an archival box (acid free cardboard) is good specially for items that are used only once a year.
Spring has finally sprung on my side of the world. How sweet it really is! I’m so looking forward to finally be able to peel off the layers of clothing and outerwear and just head out without the layers and bulk.
I can imagine the blooms and green verdant leaves that will be upon us in just a few weeks. I can just hear the melodious chirping of birds that can rival an electribe sampler created by one of those well known musicians.
I am determined to enjoy what the new season brings. How about you?
How do you pull together a stylish entry in your house? Seasoned decorators find it easy to create something good and pleasing to the eyes. As it is the first part of the house that visitors and guests see, ensuring that it is in order is a must.
If space is limited, dressing up the wall with some art work and a row of hooks that can be used to hang coats is good enough. If space is not a problem, you can have a chest of drawers to hide clutter. A table lamp on top will definitely lend a warm and pretty glow at night. Apart from that, you can hang artworks on the wall along with a row of hooks to hang coats. A decorative clock will enhance the wall. And to complete the look, a chair or a bench can be added which comes in handy to sit on and set ones handbag.
Do you love pasta? If you do, you may want to soup up your usual recipes. Read on.
Here are ways to jazz up your pasta:
- slivered sun-dried tomatoes can be added in your traditional mac and cheese
- freshly grated lemon zest will brighten up a creamy seafood sauce
- dried mushrooms will definitely add flavor. just make sure to rehydrate them by boiling water and let the dried mushroom soak for 15 minutes. the liquid if strained may also be added to replace some of the liquid in your pasta recipe.
- a tablespoon or two of capers can help pump up the flavor of a no-cook tomato sauce or a jarred marinara. you can also add some pitted, chopped olives.
Don’t we all love to have a high credit score? I sure do. It’s crazy, but somehow we are “defined” with what the three numbers are, and what they mean.
Let me share with you a few ways how to improve that credit score:
1. Pay down the cards that are almost maxed out. Meaning those that we have balances on and the balance is close to the credit limit. Any credit card that has a balance of more than 50% of the limit brings down ones score so it pays to settle them first.
2. Pay every single bill on time. Any late payment will significantly affect and decrease your credit score.
3. Do not close down or cancel an account. Why? Because, the score is computed based on the percentage of credit available and if you opt to close accounts, the overall credit limit available will decrease and the percentage of the total of what you owe will be higher. Just pay off and keep the cards in the freezer, *lol*.
Home interiors have always fascinated me. Blame it on my exposure to my Mom who was a passionate home decorator and a homemaker. Not that she had a solid background in interior design but she had a burning passion in keeping a lovely home.
I decided to be a full time homemaker almost 16 years ago after I got married. I haven’t stopped decorating our home since. My innate skills in decorating is always put to a test, but more so during the holidays when we open up our home to family and friends. It’s that time of the year when entertaining is at its peak. It is during these times when I make sure that our dining table is outfitted with premier table linens burlap tablecloth – custom .
I find it so satisfying when our guests compliment me on the set up of our table. That’s the reason why I’m always on the hunt for sources that offer one of a kind table accessories. I’m a firm believer that an excellent table set up sets the mod for an enjoyable get together.
My interest in home decorating will never ever dissipate. It’s inherent in me no matter what. For as long as I have a home to tweak, I will always be the self-taught home decorator that I am, no ifs and buts.
*image not mine