I prefer throwing a dinner party in a restaurant than at home. You may wanna know why. My reason is simple. I dread the clean up that’s associated with it. If it’s a group of 5 people maybe I can handle it. Anything beyond that, is just too much. Should there come a time when I can’t help throwing one at home, I’ll make sure it will be catered so that I will just play the role of a gracious hostess.
Here are my simple tips to personalize a dinner in a restaurant:
1. Your budget should match your guest list.
2. Pick a restaurant you frequent. It does wonders if the owner, manager or maitre d’ knows and likes you.
3. Personalize the party menu. You can either request the restaurant to print out a party menu for each guest or you can do it yourself.
4. Design your own table setting and tablescape. Accesorize the table yourself. If the restaurant is too dark, you can bring in votive candles.
5. A simple party favor for each guest will make the party memorable.
6. Be in the restaurant early to fine tune the scene.
7. Depart graciously. Slip away discreetly to pay the bills. The last event of the night shouldn’t be a view of you swooning the check.
Sounds easy, right?