This is the one thing that I haven’t had to deal with so much. We frequently travel, and most of the time, we stay in a hotel as the husband prefers it that way. The only exception to this is when we go back and visit the Philippines, as we stay at our ancestral home while in Ilocos, and while in Manila we stay in a hotel, as I have disposed my condo in Makati before I moved here. There’s only one instance that this was broken, because my friend who lives in Bakersfield, California insisted we stayed in their house when we went there for four days in 2006.
Anyway, as a houseguest this are my simple “to follow/must do” list.
- I remove the sheets and leave them folded at the foot of the bed and arrange the blankets and pillows so everything looks tidy before we leave.
- I bring our own toiletries, as I’m aware it’s not a hotel; but even when we stay in a hotel I still do because I prefer using our own toiletries except when we stay at a Four Seasons Property because L’Occitane happens to be their standard(which is what we use), and at Fairmont Properties because they provide Miller Harris toiletries(my second fave).
- Don’t bring uninvited pets. Need I say more?
- I try and my husband tries not to take long showers, as I’m aware some homes have limited hot water.
- I express my thanks to the host by bringing a small gift/token. When staying longer, I would send a gift with a thank you note. I actually sent a set of personalized towels to my friend and her husband on that Bakersfield visit.
Did I miss anything? Please feel free to add to this.