You have to agree with me, more often than not, there’s one neighbor that we can’t just get along well with. It may not be a full blown conflict; it can just be that feeling of not liking that neighbor, and not wanting to have anything to do with him/her. I am basically friendly to our neighbors, but I want to just keep things to myself. Having said this, I have several rules that I follow so as to avoid conflicts.
- I make sure that the state of our property does not affect our neighbors. We don’t have junk outside and before we do anything outdoors I take into consideration how it will impact the neighbors.
- Whenever there’s a newbie in the neighborhood, I make them feel they’re welcome by introducing myself and offering a little welcome token: i.e. flowers, cookies.
- Give them that needed notice before visiting. Just barging in by the door is a no-no. And once there, I stay only for a reasonable amount of time.
- Gossip, gossip. Don’t we all love to hear and share gossip? Thou shalt not gossip about your neighbors even if it’s too tempting as you can see through their living room window.
- Pets should not be roaming and running free. Not everyone is your dog’s friend.
- Refrain from taking advantage of your neighbors expertise, talent and tools.
Did I miss anything on this list?