As a homemaker that’s both a clean and a neat freak, I must admit I am also fond of decorating. Home decorating, that is. In fact, I’ve been mulling at the idea of taking a short course in Interior Decorating at the NY Institute of Technology. It’s so tempting, more so because they send me this mailer of courses information every once in a while.
That said, one furniture in most homes that is often clogged up is a bookcase. They end up not too appealing and pleasant because we tend to just stuff them to the seams. I want to share some ideas on how to create a look that’s more stylish.
- Allow breathing room. Providing ample space between objects will allow the eye to rest.
- Use containers. Baskets are very nice receptacles to keep things in order while they are on the shelf. Besides they also add texture.
- Balance is key. Larger books should be stacked horizontally and placed on alternating side of the shelves for symmetry. Adding round shapes such as plates or rounded picture frames will offset the hard lines of the books.
- Color coordination is important. A few hues added to the palette is inviting.
- Show off your treasures. If you have a great collection of something, you can use them to break up book monotony on the shelf. I do this by integrating some Lladro figurines and Swarovski pieces on my bookcase. It looks great.
- Inject life. Potted plants add a breath of fresh air. A vase of flowers will also do.