According from Karen Neuberger’s book: The Secret Language of Girlfriends, there are gal pals that can get us through specific predicaments. Here’s some excerpts:
- The Old Friend – they are the ones that convinced you that you looked beautiful, even with braces on prom night – and the one you still yap with on the phone for hours. It’s like the song: make new friends but keep the old; one is silver, and the other’s gold. We all need that one friend who goes for the gold.
- The Secret Keeper – the friend in whom you confide your online dating disasters and the exact number of unpaid parking tickets. They are the friends that are there in good times and our private language allows us to finish each other’s sentences; in bad times, we require no conversation at all. When you hit rock bottom they are there to move with the speed of a freight train to make sure that everything in your life are in operational order.
- The Navigator – the one who actually remembers to bring a map when you’re heading off on a trip together.
- The Personal Coach – your one-woman cheer leading squad who never attempts to look better in a short skirt and pom-poms than you do. She’s our glass-half-full friend who may drive us crazy with her cheery optimism but never lets us shortchange ourselves. She encourages us to dream the impossible dream, yet remain fully awake and solvent.
- The Party Pal – always makes you feel as if you were the guest of honor. Her enthusiasm is unconditional. When we’re determined to be depressed, she shows up at our door, ordering us to ditch our big bag of M & M while in our robe for an embarrassing night of karaoke. Every girl gang needs one member who gets you up and running and keeps you in a festive, feel good frame of mind.