Here are some issues to keep in mind when shopping for a calling plan:
- Stay with the carrier you like. If you’re satisfied with the service you have, keep the carrier but you can change plan to keep the bills in line.
- Understand the important factors. Basic fee, home calling area, peak time allotment of minutes. Be sure those factors meet your needs. Then look at other details such as cost for additional minutes and roaming.
- Think national. National calling plans have now become inexpensive, so it should be considered.
- Try sharing. Family plans are great.
- Watch the extras. Minor add-ons can catch up like directory assistance, text messages, multimedia messaging and customized ring tones.
- Consider prepaid. It’s best suited for parents who want to control their children’s usage, those with credit problems, or as an emergency use only service.