Mold is a fungus that thrives in warm, dark and humid environments. It spreads through spores that grow on moist surfaces such as wood, bathroom tiles or wallboard. Some indoor mold, such as Stachybotrys chartarum or toxic black mold produce mycotoxins that cause headaches, fatigue, vomiting and memory loss to name a few. That’s the reason why we should try and minimize or prevent mold in our living space.
Here’s what we should do to prevent mold:
- Fix leaks and water damage quickly.
- When showering, dishwashing and cooking, turn on an exhaust fan or open a window.
- Keep humidity below 6o% using air conditioners or dehumidifiers.
- If there’s a smell of strong musty odor but you can’t find mold, consider getting the help of a professional mold remover.
- If mold is not widespread, you can use 1 part bleach to 10 parts water to remove mold from hard surfaces.