- Take it personally. When you take it personally, you get emotional and lose the ability to think logically.
- Go on the attack. Stay calm and keep your comments brief and don’t say anything out of anger and frustration.
- Repeat what doesn’t work. Very self explanatory.
- Choose your battles. Getting cut off in traffic usually gets me, but as they say: take a deep breath and blow it off. If it’s a long standing problem with a close friend or family though, try to work toward a resolution.
- Avoid “problem dwelling”. Move on rather than focusing on a problem.
- Accept people as they are. There are just some that are really relentlessly difficult.
- Work on yourself. Dealing effectively isn’t always about fixing the other person. If you try to be consistently respectful and positive, there will be fewer difficult people to deal with.