A lot of us feel overworked or overwhelmed. I sure do feel that too sometimes, even if I’m just staying home taking care of the house. I do question myself once in a while: “where would a child fit in to this chaos?” And that is the reason why I appreciate the effort of working women that do an excellent juggling act every single day, taking care of their children and the household on top of a full time job.
That said, here are ways to pep-yourself-up:
- Eat healthfully and often. Easier said than done, right? But this is the most obvious way to get pumped up. Remember to not just eat anything; you have to pick healthy options for food.
- Keep moving. Don’t sit still. Another activity that’s easier said than done. A 30 minute mild to moderate cardio exercise is important in sustaining energy levels.
- Meditation helps. It’s one of the best ways to offset stress.
- Sitting at a computer all day, can lead to “technodespair”. I heard this term from a LA psychiatrist, Judith Orloff. To refuel, head out for an invigorating walk. Sometimes, a “news fast” (avoiding newspapers, the internet and TV ) gives your mind the needed break from draining and disheartening news.
- We rarely acknowledge what progress we’ve made. Taking a look at where we were and how far we’ve come is energizing. Pat yourself on the back.