That bath tub has just been re-finished or re-glazed. It’s beautiful, it looks like brand new. Suddenly, that dull bath tub is re-born and the look has changed overnight. That’s the wow factor! It’s easy, very minimal mess. You hire a tub re-finisher and the job is done in a few hours. You won’t be able to use it for twenty four hours, as the new coat has to cure.
Then reality sets in. That nice looking bath tub is suddenly treated like the “king.” Why? Let me list down the reasons:
- You can not use any cleaning product with bleach, as this will ruin the new coat. You’ll have to find another product to use, if in the future you need to clean up the common household mold in the tub area.
- You have to get a tub mat that has no suction cups. If you use the traditional tub mat, there’s the risk that the coating will peel as you are required to pull off the tub mat after every use.
- You can not leave bath products permanently on the tub. Constantly doing this will leave marks.
- It’s mortal sin to drop anything on the tub, as this can mar the coat.
- Last but definitely not the least, it’s cheap to have this done the first time, but the point is once you have the tub re-glazed, you are bound to have it done again, as it is not going to stay like new forever. Sooner or later depending on the quality of the first re-glazing job, you will have to do it again if you are not going to replace the tub altogether. That second time is not going to be cheap, as it can run between $500 to $600. Then, you’ll be a slave to your tub again, as it will require a lot of extra care as I’ve listed.
Will you go for re-glazing if your bath tub looks old and dull? I will definitely not, as I don’t want to be a slave of my bath tub forever. I would rather endure the big mess of replacing the old tub, and treat the tub as a regular tub. If you are in the market for a house, you should check this out as you can wind up buying a home with a reglazed tub. A lot of homeowners do this as it’s a quick and cheap way to make an old tub look like new.