Do you often get hives, develop itchy eyes or keep sneezing after putting up your annual live Christmas tree? More often than not, we blame the allergy attack on the tree but I learned from a report that the tree itself is not the culprit.
Have you ever thought about the ornaments as the trigger? It is highly likely that they may be the reason, specially if they have been stored all year in a damp basement hence, they can be moldy and dusty.
The best way to handle them is that after you touch the ornaments, wash your hands properly. If you are really prone to allergies or asthma, appoint someone else to trim the tree. As soon as the holiday pass, take off the ornaments and dust them off before storage. Ensure that they are stored in clean containers. One big mistake that we normally do is to store them in the same dusty box year after year which allows allergens to build up. Plastic bins outfitted with tight fitting lids are better and be sure to store the bins off the floor in a dry place.