I made this for dinner a few nights ago, and this will definitely make it to my mainstays. Aside from the fact that it is relatively very easy to prepare, it is also delicious and nutritious. It helps that my husband and I are used to the bitter taste of broccoli rabe. So if you ever try to make this, don’t say that I didn’t warn you. The taste are savored by many, but it is an acquired taste.
1 large bunch of broccoli rabe (approximately 1 1/2 lb.)
1/8 tsp. red chili flakes
1 package of Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage (casings removed)
5 tbsp. olive oil
3 garlic clove, minced
1 red pepper, roasted
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 package penne pasta
salt to taste
1. Roast red pepper on 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
1. Remove hard stems of broccoli rabe, discard wilted leaves and cut stalks into 1 inch pieces.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
3. Blanch broccoli rabe for 1 minute. Rinse and drain broccoli rabe under cold water to stop cooking.
4. From the same pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package instruction.
5. Heat oil on large skillet over medium high heat. Add chili flakes and Italian Turkey sausage and cook for 5 minutes, breaking up sausage with wooden spoon. Stir in garlic, roasted pepper, and drained broccoli rabe and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in balsamic vinegar. Season with salt.
6. Toss penne pasta.