You can definitely practice being ‘green’ too while at the supermarket. Here’s a few ways to do it:
- Love coffee? Choose “certified ” coffee such as Yuban coffee which is Rainforest Alliance Certified. It means that it’s grown in a way that preserves the ecosystem. Green Mountain Coffee roasters on the other hand, is a Fair Trade Certified brand which means that the beans are grown on small farms and farmers receive a fair price.
- Bring your own grocery bags; and that is neither plastic nor paper. What then? Nowadays, there are practical options(reusable bags) that can be purchased in-store or on the net.
- Choose produce meticulously – familiarize yourself which fruits and veggies are higher in pesticides so you can decide and go organic. Plus, if you always keep in mind that a diet rich in fruits and veggies will definitely help eliminate the need of weight loss pills.
- Packaging counts! Pay attention to the wrappings used. Eyeball the amount of plastic, cardboard and other materials used. Aim not to add more to the average amount of garbage each American produce per day : four and a half pounds of garbage.
- Local farms need your support. If you buy locally this will lessen dependence on oil, and as such, it will help cut back on gas emissions.